Wednesday, June 23, 2010

65. 318is loosing power between 2-4k RPM

After a few days of driving around with my E36, I noticed a weird power-loss between 2k and 4k. (RPM)

Well, it's an old car, and stuff like this is to be expected.

Possible reasons could include:
  • Clogged fuel filter
  • Bad fuel pump
  • Defective lambda probe
  • Bad spark plugs and/or spark plug wires...
  • (I could go on for ages...)
So, why am I writing this post?

I was digging trough BMWslo forum, and I found a great post about this...

 In some cases, the relay that is providing power to the injectors can overheat, and the injectors could lose power for a moment. (White relay on the picture) - That relay is the same on all BMW's from E28 onward, so you can easily swap it.

So, this is a new info for me, and IMO, a very useful one...

I'll change the relay today, and see if this is the case... If not, I already bought a new fuel filter, and I have 2 spare lambda probes at home... So, I'll keep you updated.

2 comments:

  1. Umm... no. :P

    I'm suspecting the air flow meter...
    But, lately, the car runs good, so, I won't poke it unless it starts to choke again...

    ReplyDelete